Bulldogs Host Long Island Brooklyn Thursday, Robert Morris Sunday
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Bulldogs have their final two tests before the start of Ivy League play this week. And both will come in the friendly confines of Reese Stadium. Yale hosts Long Island Brooklyn on Thursday at 7 p.m. and then has a Sunday afternoon date with Robert Morris in a 1 p.m. kickoff. ESPN+ has video of both games.
Here are notes on the final two games before the Ivy opener vs. Princeton on Sept. 22:
- Both opposing coaches have ties to New Haven. Long Island head coach Eleri Earnshaw, who is in her second year, spent three seasons (2014-16) as a member of Yale coach Rudy Meredith's staff. Robert Morris head coach John Kowalski is a 1973 graduate of the University of New Haven, where he was a four-year letterwinner for the men's soccer team. Kowalski began his coaching career in 1973 as an assistant coach at New Haven while playing professionally for the New Britain Falcons of the Connecticut Soccer League. He is in his 18th season as the coach of the Colonials.
- The Bulldogs (3-2-1) have won two straight games and are unbeaten in their last three.
- Yale is unbeaten in its last 10 games at Reese Stadium. The Bulldogs' last loss at home came on Oct. 22, 2016 (2-1 to Penn).
- Noelle Higginson, who had a hand in all three of Yale's goals vs. Marist last Sunday (scored one, assisted on two), ranks seventh in the nation in assists per game (0.83). Her five assists are also tied for the most in the Ivy League.
- Both of Ciara Ostrander's goals this season have been game-winners, the most recent coming in overtime of last Thursday's 1-0 win at Fordham. Ostrander is one of three Bulldogs with two goals, joining Higginson and first year Saje Brar.
- Long Island and Robert Morris are both first time opponents for the Bulldogs.
SCOUTING LONG ISLAND
The Blackbirds (2-4-1) are coming off a 1-0 victory over Iona on Sunday. Marian Awad's golden goal in the third minute of overtime was the game winner. Awad leads the team with five goals and 10 points. Long Island is making its second trip to Connecticut. The Blackbirds fell 4-2 at Hartford on Sept. 6.
SCOUTING ROBERT MORRIS
The Colonials (2-6), who beat Youngstown State 2-0 last Sunday, host Akron on Friday before visiting Yale. Jane Schleicher has scored seven of the team's eight goals. Robert Morris was picked sixth in the NEC preseason poll.
Long Island Brooklyn at Yale
Robert Morris at Yale
Report filed by Tim Bennett (email@example.com), Yale Sports Publicity