Late Goal Lifts Fairfield Over Yale

Paolo Carroll after his first career goal (Steve Musco photo)
Paolo Carroll after his first career goal (Steve Musco photo)

Carroll Scores First Career Goal For Bulldogs

HAMDEN, Conn. – On an uncomfortably hot and humid afternoon, Fairfield's Diego Casielles kept his cool at just the right time. Casielles took a feed in the box from Daniel Bjorck, calmly made a quick move and left-footed a shot into the far corner to snap a 1-1 tie late in the second half and lift the Stags to a 2-1 victory over Yale in a well-played game in difficult conditions at Quinnipiac's Soccer Stadium.

The result spoiled what was a strong performance from the Bulldogs, who had a big edge in play in the first half.

Yale, who fell to 1-1 on the young season, only had a 1-0 lead at the break. That came thanks to first year Paolo Carroll, who tallied his first career goal at 36:20. The play started when Lucas Kirby played a ball back to Cameron Riach. Riach then sent a long ball forward that deflected to Carroll, who made a quick move toward goal and jammed a shot past Fairfield goalkeeper Gordon Botterill.

The Bulldogs, who had a 6-2 edge in shots in the first half, could have led by more. They had a goal called back due to a debatable off sides call and generated consistent pressure throughout.

"The first 45 minutes were some of the best I've seen from this group, and we were [unlucky] not to be up by two or three goals after we probably should have had a penalty kick, and we had a goal called back for offside that will be interesting to watch on film," said Kylie Stannard, The 5K Corral Head Coach of the Bulldogs. "Even then, we played really well and didn't allow any dangerous chances."

Fairfield, the defending MAAC Tournament champions who played in the NCAA Tournament a year ago, picked up its play in the second half. It led to a goal at 56:14 from Jonathan Filipe, who headed in a Matt McGlinchey cross.

Casielles then tallied the game-winner at 81:07.

The Bulldogs applied pressure the rest of the way but couldn't get the equalizer.

"We didn't manage the tempo as well as we needed in the second half," Stannard said. "Fairfield showed their experience and composure and were clinical with the two shots they had on goal. I thought we allowed ourselves to get a little too stretched, and Fairfield took advantage."

Yale outshot the Stags 13-7 in the game and had a 9-3 edge in corner kicks.

The temperature approached 90 degrees at kickoff with high humidity so there was a hydration stoppage in each half.

The Bulldogs are off until Friday when they begin at weekend trip to Washington DC by facing Howard at 7 p.m.

"I'm still really happy with how our guys are doing, and this group hasn't had too much adversity in recent months so this is a good opportunity for us to re-focus and learn from this," Stannard said.

Report filed by Tim Bennett (, Yale Sports Publicity