HANOVER, N.H.- Earlier Friday afternoon, the Yale women's tennis team fell 6-1 in a tough road matchup against the Dartmouth Big Green to drop to 6-13 (0-2 in Ivy League Play)
Dartmouth was overpowering from the start, winning the No. 1 match over Valerie Skhlover and Amy Yang 6-1, and No. 2 doubles over Samantha Martinelli and Sunday Swett also by a score of 6-1. They were also up 5-1 in the No. 3 matchup before concluding early. The Bulldogs toyed with new doubles configurations but were still unable to get the doubles points.
Dartmouth continued their hot play in singles, winning the first four singles matches in straight sets, including wins in the No. 1, 4, 5 and 6 matches. Skhlover then got Yale on the scoreboard with a 6-4, 6-3 win, but by then Dartmouth had already sealed the win with their five victories on the day. The final match of the day was also the closets; No. 2 Amy Yang, after losing the first set 7-5, rebounded to win the second set 6-3. In the third set super tie-break, she fell 10-8.
The Bulldogs head back home and await arch-rivals Harvard on Sunday.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – Dartmouth 6, Yale 1
- Mathis (D) def. Martinelli (Y) 6-3, 6-1
- Schroeder (D) def. Yang (Y) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
- Skhlover (Y) def. Lyn (D) 6-4, 6-3
- Chiu (D) def. Gillinov (Y) 6-3, 6-1
- Hwang (D) def. Amos (Y) 6-1, 6-2
- Guan (D) def. Swett (Y) 6-0, 6-4
- Chiu/Schroeder (D) def. Skhlover/Yang (Y) 6-1
- Lyn/Mathis (D) def. Martinelli/Swett (Y) 6-1
- Chuang/Hwang (D) v. Amos/Gillinov (Y) DNF 5-1